Rabu, 25 April 2012

Valverde to leave champions Olympiacos Ernesto Valverde will step down as coach of champions Olympiacos at the end of the season, the club announced Thursday. The 48-year-old Spaniard is currently in his second spell in charge of the Athens club, having steered them to three Super League titles plus a Greek Cup win in total. Their latest league success was confirmed earlier this month, while they will also contest the cup final against Atromitos on 28 April. I know that this is a club with high excellence, a team that always wanted to win and this can be very exhausting for someone. Ernesto Valverde, Olympiacos coach However, with just one round of matches remaining in the league, Valverde has revealed he will not be at the helm next season. "Last year, when we renewed our cooperation for one more season, I told the president that it will be my last here," Valverde said. "However, we had agreed not to say anything as we thought it was in the best interest of the club so that we could have stability within the team. There are several reasons for my decision. The main reason is a personal one which affects only me - things that concern my personal life and which cannot be discussed at a press conference. "The second reason is that I have been with this club for three years and I know that this is a club with high excellence, a team that always wanted to win and this can be very exhausting for someone. Three years is a very long time in football." Club president Evangelos Marinakis admits Valverde will be sorely missed by the club. "I hope that this farewell, which will come after our last official match, will signify yet another title for the team, that of the Greek Cup," he said. "After all, everyone in the club wants to end the season by achieving the double. We will remain in constant contact and cooperation with Ernesto Valverde and as I said befor

0 komentar: