Rabu, 15 Juli 2009

Beckham

Beckham: No need for apology
(PA) Wednesday 15 July 2009
Print
Email my friend
Share

David Beckham has claimed he has nothing to apologise to Los Angeles Galaxy fans for and has been a positive influence on Major League Soccer since his arrival two years ago.

The former England captain returns to MLS action against the New York Red Bulls at Giants Stadium on Thursday night, his first appearance for the Galaxy this season and having caused controversy for extending a short-term, close-season loan to AC Milan last January into a six-month stay which caused him the miss the first half of the US domestic campaign.

The 34-year-old midfielder, the highest paid player in MLS on a five-year deal signed in 2007, insisted he had done everything by the book in terms of honouring his contract and was still dedicated to the Galaxy cause. Beckham makes his first home appearance of the season at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California on Sunday in a friendly against AC Milan and he said he was unsure what the reaction from Galaxy fans to him would be.
I always said to the manager and the players that I would be coming back and maybe one or two didn't believe me but at the end of the day I'm here, I'm committed to the team.
Beckham is back with the Galaxy

Asked if he had anything to apologise for, Beckham said: "No, not at all. I think what you've seen is that I've been very dedicated to the Galaxy, dedicated to the fans. I've always been very positive and very honest with my play here and when I went to Milan I explained to everyone the reason behind me going.

"I always said to the manager and the players that I would be coming back and maybe one or two didn't believe me but at the end of the day I'm here, I'm committed to the team and we'll see what the first game back (in Los Angeles) against Milan, what it will be like," he went on. "But I don't feel like I owe an apology, but I don't know."

Seeking to further balance criticism, raised amongst others by Galaxy team-mate Landon Donovan, that he lacked commitment to his MLS team, Beckham defended his decision to stay in Milan beyond his initial loan deal. "I was given to chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world," Beckham said. "If you ask any player in any league in the world, if they were given the chance to finish the season with one of the biggest clubs in the world, they would have said 'Yes'.

"I'm a very honest person. If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be here," Beckham added. "I've always been committed to every contract I've ever had, and that hasn't changed. I'm a very committed person. If people want to question my commitment and my professionalism, the fact that I'm willing to travel thousands of miles to play for my country says it all."

Despite failing to lift the Galaxy into the MLS end of season play-offs in each of the last two seasons, Beckham insisted he had been good for the game in the United States, although some of his examples had been in place before his arrival. "What I've done for the league so far has been very successful, I've had a successful effect on the game here," he said. "You know, there are eight new franchises coming into the league, new stadiums going up (and) attendances, wherever we've played as a team.

"If you look at the attendances we have had throughout the seasons, there's not many Premiership (teams) that get the average attendance that we've had, excluding Manchester United and Arsenal and teams like that," Becks continued. "So I think there's been a positive effect. We want to carry on growing this game here, it's the reason that I wanted to be involved in this, but like I said the first day I arrived, this is not going to happen over one or two years.
What I've done for the league so far has been very successful, I've had a successful effect on the game here.
Beckham on his time in LA

"People want quick results but it's never going to happen over one or two years, it's five or 10 years and if I'm not playing by the time it really takes off like we hope and know it will then I'll still be part of this. I'm committed to it and I'm committed to the cause."

Nevertheless, as Beckham seeks to win a place in England manager Fabio Capello's plans for a possible 2010 FIFA World Cup™ finals in South Africa, Beckham refused to rule out a further loan move in the MLS close season to a European club.

"At the moment I'm not even thinking about that," Beckham said. "I'm back with the Galaxy, I have to think about the rest of this season and reaching the goal we want to reach which is the play-offs and hopefully further. Then I'll worry about whatever else happens once the season's ended (in November). But it's important that people realise I am here to play for this team. I am contracted to play for this team and at the moment that's the most important thing."

0 komentar: